Ford VIN Decoder
Uncover the hidden history of any Ford by decoding its VIN number.
The VIN entered is invalid. Please check and try again.
Need More Information? Get Vehicle History Report
Bellow you can find the best companies in the world that specialize in vehicle history reports.
There’s a lot that goes into buying a car, and checking the VIN should be added as a standard practice. When you use our free Ford VIN decoder, you learn details about the car’s origin before you purchase it. Here’s everything you need to know about a car’s VIN.
Decode Ford VIN
Every car has a VIN, which is an identification number that is unique to it. It tells you details about the car, and each letter and number mean something different.
- First three digits - Country of origin, manufacturer, and vehicle type
- Fourth through ninth digit - Transmission, engine, body, and a check digit.
- 10th through 17th digit - model year, production plant, and serial number
Once you explore our free Ford VIN decoder, check the details against the sales sheet so you know it is the right car. If it is not, confirm you added the right number. If it continues, there’s a problem.
Now that you know the importance of running a free Ford VIN decoder, you can take it one step further by purchasing a vehicle history report from one of our trusted partners. These reports go deeper than the surface level to give a comprehensive view of the car’s history and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
✔️What is a Ford VIN?
A Ford VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a unique 17-character code assigned to every Ford vehicle. It serves as a sort of "fingerprint" for the vehicle and can identify its make, model, year, engine type, and other key features.
✔️What does Ford VIN contain?
A Ford VIN contains 17 characters that are used to identify specific information about the vehicle, including:
- World manufacturer identifier (WMI): the first three characters indicate the manufacturer and country of origin
- Vehicle descriptor section (VDS): the next five characters provide information about the vehicle's attributes, such as body style, engine type, and model
- Check digit: the ninth character is a mathematical formula that helps verify the VIN's authenticity
- Vehicle identification section (VIS): the remaining eight characters provide information about the vehicle's model year, production plant, and serial number.
✔️Where to find the Ford VIN?
The Ford VIN can typically be found in a few different locations on the vehicle, including:
- On the dashboard, visible through the windshield on the driver's side
- On the driver's side door jamb, where the door latches
- On the engine block, near the front of the engine
- On the vehicle registration and title documents.
✔️What Ford models work with our VIN decoder?
It depends on the specific VIN decoder you are using. For example, some VIN decoders may work with all Ford models, while others may only be designed to work with certain years or models. Therefore, it's important to check the VIN decoder specifications to ensure that it is compatible with the Ford vehicle you are trying to decode.