Volkswagen VIN Decoder
Find out important information about any Volkswagen by decoding its VIN.
Need More Information? Get Vehicle History Report
Bellow you can find the best companies in the world that specialize in vehicle history reports.
Our Volkswagen VIN decoder can help you learn more about the car you are trying to buy. Each number and letter tells you something about the car if you know what you’re looking at, and here’s everything you need to know to make the most of our Volkswagen VIN decoder.
Decode Volkswagen VIN?
A Volkswagen comes with a 17-digit code that is unique to this vehicle. This is its VIN number, and each element can tell you information about the car.
- First three digits - Country of origin, manufacturer, and vehicle type
- Fourth through ninth digit - Transmission, engine, body, and a check digit.
- 10th through 17th digit - model year, production plant, and serial number
If the car has special features, for example, if it is a flexible fuel vehicle, this will be indicated in the second, third, and eighth digits in the VIN. The Volkswagen VIN decoder will help you learn more about the car’s origins.
Use the Volkswagen VIN decoder to uncover information about a car. To dive deeper, we recommend getting a vehicle history report from one of our trusted partner sites. They provide comprehensive reports that go beyond the public record, and we’ve ranked the best for you to speed up your search.
This Volkswagen VIN Decoder was updated in 2023.
Volkswagen VIN Examples
Bellow you can find a few Volkswagen examples:
- 1984 VOLKSWAGEN Vanagon
- 1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING
- 1984 VOLKSWAGEN scirocco
- 2011 VOLKSWAGEN Routan
- 2007 VOLKSWAGEN Rabbit
Feel free to test our decoder with these VIN.
Our VIN Decoder Works With These Volkswagen Models
Frequently Asked Questions
✔️What is a Volkswagen VIN?
A Volkswagen VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a unique 17-digit code assigned to every Volkswagen vehicle that is produced. The VIN provides information about the vehicle's manufacturer, model, year of manufacture, and special features.
✔️What does Volkswagen VIN contain?
The Volkswagen VIN contains four sections:
- World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI) - the first three digits of the VIN that identify the manufacturer and the country of origin.
- Vehicle Descriptor Section (VDS) - digits 4 to 8 of the VIN that identifies the model, body style, engine type, and other unique features.
- Check Digit - the 9th Digit of the VIN that is used to verify the accuracy of the VIN.
- Vehicle Identification Section (VIS) - digits 10 to 17 of the VIN that provide a unique serial number for the vehicle.
✔️Where to find the Volkswagen VIN?
You can find the Volkswagen VIN in several places on the vehicle, including:
- The dashboard on the driver's side - is visible through the windshield.
- The driver's side door jamb - a sticker with the VIN and other vehicle information.
- The engine block - stamped on the engine block itself.
✔️What Volkswagen models work with our VIN decoder?
Our VIN decoder works with most Volkswagen models manufactured since 1980. However, it's important to note that some Volkswagen vehicles may have different VIN formats depending on the country of origin or production year.