Best VIN Decoders
Frequently Updated Reviews & Ratings of VIN Decoders
If you’ve never used a VIN decoder before, it can be tough to decide which one to use. Every website claims to have the best reports at the lowest prices, and it would take hours to research them on your own. After all that, you are still at risk of running into a scam platform. That’s why we’ve made it our job to find the best VIN decoders that are safe to use and provide you with the most value for your money. We’ve tested and reviewed dozens of VIN decoders, and ranked them to make it easier for you to choose the best one.
Each website we recommend offers unique services because people need VIN decoders for different reasons. One of the most important factors we look at is the reliability of data sources that VIN decoders use. VIN decoders must keep their databases up to date with the most current car facts and reports, including government databases, recall notices, and police reports. We also focus heavily on security because your personal information is the most critical information of all. Our comprehensive review process uses a four-point ranking system to provide you with the best choices in quality VIN decoders.
10 Best VIN Decoders of 2023
Our Top VIN Decoder Picks
Why We Picked It
Ranks #1 out of 22 VIN Decoders
In our opinion, carVertical is the best VIN decoder out there. The main reason for that is their quick service and accurate reports. They use efficient blockchain tools to minimize tampering. Every report contains a direct link to check the authenticity of the data. It is highly recommended due to the authenticity of the information. Also, it ensures relatively up-to-date information compared to other sites. In the end, this website provides a checklist that provides you with a real-time experience. But overall, it is more than one can expect from a report of a few bucks.
- Offers cost-effective decoding solutions when compared to competitors.
- Uses blockchain to ensure original and tempered-proof reports.
- Updates data regularly to provide the recent-most information.
- Employs various checks to gauge the quality of data.
- Exceptional customer support with a decent refund policy.
- Pretty new to the market.
- Doesn’t provide the option to buy more than three reports at once.
Ranks #2 out of 22 VIN Decoders
ClearVin is one of the best VIN decoders, as it offers affordable and accurate reports. It provides verified information from a wide range of service providers. The customer service is very quick and responsive. The audit report covers safety recalls, vehicle specifications, auction photos, theft records, damages history, accident data, price analysis, and many other details.
An overview of various records is also provided in the summary section. The website covers the history details of various automobiles, trucks, and other vehicles. Incorporating repair records would be a great addition for the users. Also, some reports are outdated. So, regular update of data is mandatory to keep the customers informed about recent happenings with their concerned vehicles.
- Responsive customer service system.
- Free recall reports that may assist you in buying cars.
- The history of trucks and other vehicles can also be checked.
- Provide a money-back guarantee.
- Affordable and accurate reports.
- Only provide service in Canada and the US.
- Provides fewer data as compared to competitors.
- Some reports may contain outdated information.
- Site performance may be slow sometimes.
- Not all the reports carry full-scale information.
Ranks #3 out of 22 VIN Decoders
EpicVIN is one of the rational choices among today’s VIN decoding platforms. It is much more affordable. You just have to pay $14.99 to get almost all the important details about your vehicle. The interface is pretty easy-to-use and engaging. The website provides you with reliable information, which is verified through NMVTIS and blockchain tools. EpicVIN is safe enough and keeps your information secure.
The service is responsive, but live chat is unavailable. But the low pricing and reliability are the best reasons to choose this platform. What makes you wait? This platform is for you if you’re looking for maximum data on car history at a low cost.
- A cost-effective VIN decoder for bulk reports.
- It offers basic information for free.
- Easy to request vehicle reports.
- Only takes a few moments to generate reports.
- It includes the most relevant details about your vehicle.
- It keeps your VIN available for other customers to check.
- Currently, the report doesn’t provide maintenance information— though they have plans to add it soon.
- Direct, timely assistance from CS would be a great addition.
- The tech service information feature is still in progress.
- The users may face loading issues in the mobile app.
Ranks #4 out of 22 VIN Decoders
VinAudit is a good choice in comparison to other costly VIN decoders. You can access reliable information at a very affordable price. The website offers great customer support and useful vehicle details. You can also use free tools and resources. The website uses trusted sources to provide you with genuine information. Some areas need improvement, like the report should be more comprehensive. It should contain photos, extensive damages, equipment records, and maintenance records. But overall, it’s one of the best VIN decoders in today’s vehicle marketplaces.
- It gives a comprehensive overview of ownership history.
- It is the most affordable VIN checker in today's market.
- VinAudit provides a variety of free tools and lookups.
- You will get quick reports with excellent customer service.
- Reports remain in the system for about one year. You can access it at any time.
- The interface appears quite outdated.
- The report is not as comprehensive as the others.
- It only provides services in the United States and Canada.
- You are unable to share login details with others.
- VinAudit has limited resources to collect and verify information.
Ranks #5 out of 22 VIN Decoders
AutoCheck vin decoder with score ratings is a reliable option to consider. It provides fast and easy solutions to help customers to make vehicle comparisons. The platform provides a secure environment for the users. The pricing is affordable. In addition, this VIN decoder gathers info from verified agencies and leading partners. It means the authenticity of data is ensured. You will get dynamic vehicle updates throughout the package subscription period. AutoCheck has a convenient refund policy. It offers buyback protection to keep the data secured. Some portions need improvement: the free report should contain more detail, and customer support should be improved. But, overall, it is one of the best VIN decoders in the market.
- The website is straightforward to navigate.
- It gathers information from multiple databases.
- Batch purchasing of reports is a cost-effective option.
- The score feature enables the user to compare the vehicles.
- It offers Buyback Protection for paid users.
- Customer service is reliable but not much responsive.
- The price of a single report is relatively high.
- The free versions may have minor issues and not provide considerable details.
- The report does not include maintenance records.
- It does not report all types of accidents in the report.
Ranks #6 out of 22 VIN Decoders
CARFAX is a good alternative if you want to get in-depth information about a particular vehicle. The report lets you get details about mileage, odometer rollbacks, stolen vehicle, owners, damages, and others. It is more expensive than other VIN decoders but if you want a detailed report, then it is worth spending some more bucks.
The website offers you great customer support, safe deposit options, and a flexible refund policy. The business reports offer you an 80% discount on multiple reports. Using CARFAX, you can request unlimited reports at a time. Accuracy and security are the factors that make CARFAX a better option for vehicle reports.
- Provide comprehensive vehicle reports.
- Excellent customer service.
- Collects the data from 100,000 multiple verified sources.
- Multiple reports are affordable.
- Real-time live chat is available to assist customers.
- Single reports are more costly than competitors.
- Not all damages and accidents are recorded.
- No information for comparing various vehicles.
- Some reports may contain less data about service history.
- This platform only provides vehicle info reported to them.
Ranks #7 out of 22 VIN Decoders
If you’re looking for precise and comprehensive reports, then VINcheckup is made for you. This decoder platform gathers data from verified sources like NMVTIS, government agencies, insurance companies, and federal institutes. So, the site is pretty reliable. It offers you affordable rates for vehicle history information. You can access detailed data about vehicle features, damages, services, accidents, liens, reconstructions, title brands, odometer readings, and many more. It also offers you excellent customer support. The payment options and the return policies are also flexible. What makes you think much? It is more than one desire from a VIN platform.
- Leading partner of NMVTIS and other major databases.
- The interface is simple & easy to use.
- Accurate and reliable reports.
- Offers VIN services in all 50 states of the US.
- You can screen multiple vehicles, like trucks, bikes, etc., through this platform.
- Sometimes the report may contain outdated information.
- Customers are mostly dissatisfied with their refund policy.
- Their report data could not replace the actual vehicle inspection.
- As compared to competitors, its data sources are limited.
- It only provides VIN services in the US.
Ranks #8 out of 22 VIN Decoders
VINinspect offers quick VIN decoding services to users after collecting data from a trustworthy platform like the NMVTIS. All the information mentioned in the notification is enough to save a buyer from getting scammed. The price for one report may seem high, but looking at the accuracy of data and speedy response, it’s justified. Only a few areas need improvement, such as adding minor damage details and spreading the website services worldwide. In addition, adding more reliable sources will further improve the credibility of the content. All in all, we found the VINinspect supportive and responsive.
- Offers free auction reports of vehicles with pictures.
- The database has information about millions of cars.
- Faster generation of report.
- Customer support service is way too efficient.
- Special discount offers for car dealers.
- Only available in Canada and the USA.
- Not accessible through phone apps.
- Maintenance history isn't mentioned in some reports.
- Collect information from relatively lesser sources which might be less precise.
- Usually collects data from relatively smaller partners, this can replicate lesser accuracy.
Ranks #9 out of 22 VIN Decoders
FAXVIN offers reliable and quick VIN decoding services to users and collects their data from multiple authentic sources spread worldwide. The data provided by the website is enough to save the customer from scammers and damaged vehicles. Although the cost for a single report is relatively high, it’s justified by the top-notch services they offer. However, a few areas need a little attention, as the website can add pictures of vehicles and multiple payment options for user ease. All in all, we found it excellent and highly responsive.
- Collects data from credible government and non-government organizations.
- User-friendly service and multiple payment options.
- A detailed report about the vehicle within seconds.
- DMV VIN decoding service.
- Offer services to residents of multiple countries in the world.
- Sometimes there's not enough information on the damage history.
- Vehicle maintenance history isn't available for a few reports.
- Customer service is not very responsive.
- Owner identity is hidden for the domain is hidden on WHOIS.
- Lack of direct option of buying multiple reports in a single go.
Ranks #10 out of 22 VIN Decoders
VINreport is a quick and reliable VIN decoder that collects data from state-owned sources and verifies the information from various tools before sharing it with the user. The report possesses all the vehicle details to help the user make a suitable decision. You may find the price of a single report high, but we suggest going for multiple reports and saving some bucks. A few areas need improvement, like providing VIN decoding services worldwide and lowering the cost of a single report. Otherwise, the decoder works great!
- Collects information from credible sources like NMVTIS and other local service shops.
- Provides clear pictures of the damages.
- Trusted by Micro Trend.
- Services are limited to mainly USA and Canada.
- The cost of the single report is slightly high.
What to Consider When Choosing VIN Decoder?
There are a lot of excellent VIN decoders from which to choose. Here are the top five factors to consider when selecting a VIN decoder.
- Reliable Data Sources. There is a big difference in the accuracy and reliability of the data used by various VIN decoders. The best data comes from credible government and non-government sources and is checked to gauge the quality of the data. Top VIN decoders update their data regularly to provide current information.
- Competitive Pricing Plans. VIN decoders offer a variety of reports at different prices, which makes it difficult to compare pricing options. Look for cost-effective plans that provide comparable services for the same price and discounts for multiple car reports. If you’re a car dealer, watch out for special discounts just for you.
- Quality Reports. Data isn’t useful unless it’s presented in a quality report that is comprehensive and easy to use. Many decoders have sample reports that you can look at to see if they provide the information you need. Also, pay attention to how quickly reports are generated.
- Customer Service. It’s easy to tell if customer service is good before purchasing a product. Look for a user-friendly website, multiple payment options, and a solid refund policy. The best VIN decoders offer their services to people in countries around the world.
Security. Data needs to be reliable and tamper-proof. You also want your personal information to be kept safe, so be sure to check out the site’s safety standards and security policies. If security isn’t mentioned on a VIN decoder’s platform, it probably doesn’t have a strong security strategy.
How We Tested VIN Decoders?
We use a four-point review process to test the services and reports of the top VIN decoders to help you choose the best one.
- We Test Their Service. The best way to test the service of a website is to use it, and that’s what we did. We tried every offer and explored every aspect of their website. Then, we tested their data to provide you with quality rankings based on the overall quality of their service.
- We Check Their Performance. We used the VIN decoders to see how they performed. If they are slow, we let you know, and if they are fast, we include that in our report, too. We analyze their user interface and payment checkout to ensure that we recommend a website that will make your life easier, not harder.
- We Evaluate Their Pricing Plans. There are various plans and different pricing schedules, and it can be overwhelming to decide which one to choose. We understand that you don’t want to spend a lot of money until you’re sure about what you’re getting, so we compared the details of pricing plans to help you choose the best deal.
- We Verify Their Reputation. Protecting you from fraud is our biggest priority, and that’s why we verify the reputation of every VIN decoder we recommend. We're constantly checking reviews and customer feedback to verify a platform’s reliability and reputation.
After thoroughly checking a VIN decoding website, we gather all this information and see how it stacks up to the competition. We make a final recommendation after comprehensive testing of a VIN decoding platform.
There are many reasons to use a VIN decoder, and there isn’t one VIN decoder that will be the best choice for everyone. Each VIN decoder that we’ve recommended has something unique that it does better than all the others, and that might be the best decoder for you even if it doesn’t rank in the first spot.
We don’t include free VIN lookups in our reviews because any reports of value will cost something. Charging for reports is one of the methods used to deter car scammers and online fraudsters.
People have different needs when decoding a VIN number, so it’s helpful to read our lists of pros and cons before deciding on a VIN decoder. Our reviews contain nuggets of information that can help steer you to the VIN decoder right for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
✔️What is the best VIN decoder?
People use VIN decoders for various reasons, and the best VIN decoder will depend on your needs and preferences. We have tested and reviewed the top VIN decoders and made recommendations to steer you in the right direction.
✔️How do the best VIN decoders work?
Every vehicle has a unique VIN number that is used to encode important information. That number is also used to track and collect data throughout the life of the vehicle. VIN decoders use databases to access that information. Check out our VIN decoder reviews to learn more about how VIN decoders work.
✔️Are VIN decoders accurate?
VIN decoders vary in accuracy and results, which is why we’ve taken the time to test and review them. We’ve checked out all kinds of VIN decoders, from to premium VIN decoders. You can find the most accurate VIN decoders for your needs by reading through our reviews.
✔️What is the most reliable VIN decoder?
There are several excellent VIN decoders, and they offer a variety of reports and services to you. We’re constantly reviewing them and checking their websites for authenticity. Since your personal needs and preferences will be different from others, it is recommended that you read through our reviews of the top VIN decoders to make your final decision.