BMW VIN Decoder
Uncover the hidden history of any BMW by decoding its VIN with our BMW VIN decoder.
The VIN entered is invalid. Please check and try again.
Need More Information? Get Vehicle History Report
Bellow you can find the best companies in the world that specialize in vehicle history reports.
If you are in the market to buy a new BMW, you want to check out its VIN to learn more about the car. Our free BMW VIN decoder will provide basic information about the car so you can get a clear picture. Here’s all you need to know.
Decode BMW VIN
You can tell a lot about a BMW simply by looking at the VIN, and our BMW Vin Decoder can help you understand what each piece means.
- First three characters: Where it was built and the manufacturer
- Fourth through eighth characters: Car brand, engine, and type
- Ninth through 11th characters: Security code, model, assembly plant
- 12th through 17th characters: Serial numbers
All of this together gives a clear picture of the basic information about the car. If the vehicle uses flexible fuel, you can tell that by examining the second, third, and eighth characters. Our free BMW Vin Decoder breaks it all down.
We offer a free BMW VIN Decoder so you can learn more about a potential vehicle prior to purchasing it. If you need more in-depth information, you can always purchase a vehicle history report. We’ve listed the best of the best so you can know what to expect when you partner with them.
Frequently Asked Questions
✔️What is a BMW VIN?
A BMW VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a unique 17-character code that is assigned to each BMW vehicle. It serves as a specific identifier for the vehicle and contains information about the vehicle's year, model, engine size, and other features.
✔️What does the BMW VIN contain?
A BMW VIN contains 17 characters, which can be divided into three sections:
- World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI) - the first three characters identifying the manufacturer and the country of origin.
- Vehicle Descriptor Section (VDS) - the following six characters that provide information about the vehicle's model, body type, engine type, and other features.
- Vehicle Identification Section (VIS) - the last eight characters that serve as a unique identifier for the specific vehicle, including information such as the production plant, production sequence, and serial number.
✔️Where to find the BMW VIN?
The BMW VIN can be found in several locations on the vehicle, including:
- The driver's side dashboard is visible through the windshield.
- The driver's side door jamb.
- The engine compartment, the firewall, or the radiator support.
- The vehicle registration and title documents.
✔️What BMW models work with our VIN decoder?
A VIN decoder should work with all BMW models, regardless of the year or model. However, it is always recommended to check with the specific decoder to confirm its compatibility.